Running for the Right

Relay for Life is a great chance to help raise money for a good cause.

Olivia Doyle, Columnist

For the first time ever, Horizon Honors will be hosting Relay for Life on Friday, Feb. 19, 2016. This fundraiser is a fun one that helps raise money for the American Cancer Society. Participators can show up at 6 p.m. and stay until 12 a.m. Elementary and middle school students are to leave at 9 p.m.  Horizon Honors hopes to have many participants for such a great cause. Junior Brogan Taylor, lead of the Relay for Life committee, said, “The idea started with the staff and students in student council, but it grew into larger event where now we have an entirely different committee. We are supporting Relay to give back to the community and help those in need. We can start a new tradition for our school while supporting a cause that has affected all of us. More specifically for the school, two of the founders died from cancer and multiple staff members have been diagnosed and fought through the disease.”

Relay for Life is an event held for the support of cancer. Anyone from Horizon Honors who comes to this fundraiser walk laps until midnight (unless you are in elementary or middle school); each person will belong to a team which has a sponsor. This sponsor offers to donate however much money for every lap walked. Venders and regular people will set up booths to sell their wares and  play games. Overall, it raises money that goes to a foundation that cures people of all kinds of cancer. You can go to the Relay for Life website (http://relay.acsevents.org), search Horizon Honors in the event finder, and select our Relay for Life event. There you can choose to donate or form a team.

Be sure to stay updated on the event. Also, if you would like to get involved, volunteering spots are sure to be available. Whatever your reason may be, come help and support people struggling with cancer and their loved ones. Be sure to help Horizon Honors with its new event and come out and run.