Singing Into A Sweet Holiday Season

The Dolce Voce and Magnum Chordum choirs sung a beautiful compilation of holiday songs to get us in the holiday spirit for our upcoming holiday break.

Ilaria Cobb, Columnist

Beginning at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 8, Dolce Voce and Magnum Chordum beautifully sang the compilation of music that Cori VanderLey put together. The stage was lined with beautiful poinsettias; the choir’s voices rang out and brought joy to all those listening.

The combined show began with seventh grader Emily Westersund soloing the beginning of “One Candle,” by Andy Beck and Brian Fisher, and was later accompanied by eighth grader Madison Burns. Both girls and the choir sang beautifully. Freshman Emmy Cartwright, who is a part of Dolce Voce, made a special appearance and signed the entire song.

After “One Candle,” the choir sang “Kwa Na Krismasi Njema.” VanderLey added the element of percussion to the song with seventh grader Sophie Coffman and eighth graders Taegon Giddings and Gavin Chaston. They were all provided a unique percussion instrument and provided a beat for the choir to sing too. The extra percussion added another level of depth to the piece.

Dolce Voce was later joined by Magnum Chordum. Both choirs sang “Bidi Bom” by David Eddleman and then “Do You Hear What I Hear?” by Noel Regney and Gloria Shayne.

Magnum Chordum performed the classic “White Christmas” by Irving Berlin. Freshman Carson Camamo and seventh grader Garrett Lindsey each performed a solo in this song. They both did a wonderful job with the challenging solos. The rest of Magnum Chordum as well as Dolce Voce sang alongside and danced throughout the whole song.

The final piece and the highlight of the night was a piece they called “A Bit of Holiday Cheer.” It was a medley including songs such as “Frosty the Snowman” and “Jingle Bells.” The whole concert brought a smile to your face and holiday cheer to your heart. The poinsettias lining the stage added to the night’s beautiful holiday spirit.