Homerun of a Scholarship

Horizon Honors’ McKenna Gutt has signed with Lake Superior State University, and she tells us all about how long she has played and her recruitment.

Caroline Lilleoer, Columnist

Horizon Honors’ softball athlete, McKenna Gutt, was offered a scholarship at Lake Superior State University. She is both very excited and a little scared to go; Michigan is far away, but she can’t imagine it any other way.  

The Horizon Sun: How many years have you played softball?

McKenna Gutt: Almost 11 years, I started when I was 7.

HS: What do you like about softball?

MG: I love the adrenaline rush I get when I step onto the field, the competitiveness of the game, and the quickness it requires. The feeling I get when I play softball is rivaled nowhere else in my life. I’m in my own zone during softball where I feel at home.

HS: How did you get recruited?

MG: The answer to that is persistence. I emailed the coach maybe three times before she responded to me. She finally emailed me back when I sent her my tournament schedule for the year and a skills video. This then started the emailing process where I asked and answered at least two dozen questions. The day came where the coach personally called me. It was one of the most nerve-wracking experiences I’ve ever endured. It was on this phone call that she offered me a scholarship and a place on the team. From then on, it was up to me to decide where I wanted to go for college.

HS: Are you excited to go to the college which offered the scholarship?

MG: I’m overwhelmingly excited to play at Lake Superior State University. I never thought that I would be going to Michigan to play softball or even go to college. But now that I’ve signed there, I can’t imagine it any other way. I am however, scared of moving that far away, but it helps quite a bit that my grandparents live there as well. That fact alone gives me a lot of comfort.

HS: Which role does softball have in your daily life?

MG: Softball is a huge part of my daily life. I play softball almost every month of the year, so my mind is constantly wandering to softball. To put it simply, softball is my life; I wouldn’t be who I am today if I didn’t play.

HS: What was your thoughts about the scholarship? did you ever consider not to take it?

MG: I am incredibly grateful to be offered the scholarships. It honestly blows my mind that all of this is happening, it hasn’t fully sunken in yet. However, there was a time when I was content in not playing softball for college and staying in state. I didn’t want to be overworked, but all of that is worth it to play the sport that I love.

HS: Do you have any good advice for future softball players at Horizon?

MG: My advice is to never give up. If you put forth the effort, determination, and time to play softball in high school and/or college, anything can happen. Push through everyone who says it won’t happen, use that as fuel to step harder and want to prove them wrong that much more. Nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it.