Chasing the Bolt

The San Diego Chargers are moving to Los Angeles, sparking controversy about betraying their fan base and conflicting with the Los Angeles Rams, who are already located there.

Kylee Golden, Columnist

As of Jan. 12, 2017, the San Diego Chargers officially dropped the “San Diego” from their name. Their chairman, Dean Spanos, announced the move of the franchise to Los Angeles. There was an immediate reaction from both the media and the fans.

After 56 seasons in San Diego, the Chargers have acquired a supportive fan base that is now disappointed with the move to Los Angeles. These fans are feeling a sense of betrayal by the team that has been with them for decades. Fans have said to reporters that they no longer want to show any support for the Chargers due to the fact that they were left behind and abandoned.

After the 2016 season, statistics showed that the San Diego Chargers were ranked 31 out of 32 in average attendance for the season. This was not a lack of interest by fans, since the average capacity was 71 percent full. This seems to be a lack of football fans in this city. That being said, this does not mean that Los Angeles will provide more football fans for the franchise. Not only will they be competing with the Rams, who moved to Los Angeles last year and will be playing 13 miles away, but also the Chargers are going to be playing in a stadium that is 43,000 seats smaller. This is an issue that has been brought up many times by the media since people are not sure whether or not Los Angeles has room for another team. Sure, it is a big city, but with 10 other professional sports teams, it might start to get a little crowded.