A Stellar Symphonic Concert

Horizon Honors’ Symphonic Band performed at their concert on Tuesday, Feb. 28, at 6 p.m.

Ethan Hurlburt, Columnist

On Tuesday, Feb. 28, Horizon Honors’ Symphonic Band concert put on a remarkable performance that filled up every seat in the multipurpose room.

Before the band performed, the Intermediate Band and Symphonic Band both combined to perform a song called “Clarinets Packing Up Early.” Eric Best, the band director, explains that the song is dedicated to the clarinet players who have to pack up early, because their instruments tend to take a long time to put away.

After the song collaboration, they began to warm up and tune their instruments for a couple of minutes. As they finished up, Mr. Best introduced the symphonic band and the first piece to start the night, the “National Emblem March,” a piece used mainly in the military as ceremonial music for the color guard when presenting and retiring the colors.

Up next was “As Summer Was Just Beginning,” which had a connected and upbeat tempo. Jeffrey Kelly, assistant band director, was the first to show Best this piece, and Best commented that he was “happy he [Kelly] shared this piece with me.”

Then, the band performed “Kentucky 1800,” a very midwestern song with a style that reminded the audience of folk music.  It started slowly but gradually became louder.

The final song of the concert was “The Magnificent Seven,” produced by Elmer Bernstein from the famous 1960 film, “The Magnificent Seven.” The dynamic song had a high tempo and a unique rhythm.

At the end of the night, the students performed at a high level and the audience was loving their performance. Congratulations to Symphonic Band for the stellar performance!