Study Tips for Finals

The dreaded finals are almost upon us, and if you want to ace them, then I suggest you pay attention to these study tips.

Xander Sharpe, Columnist

Studying is the most important thing you can do to help ace a test. Tests are often a huge part of students’ grades, and failing one can drop your grades drastically. Let’s be honest, though: studying is so boring and not many of us do it. Even if we do study, there’s always a chance we’ll forget some of it. However, there are numerous ways to help solve this problem.

The first thing you can do is talk out loud instead of reading in your head. According to Psychology Today, this helps by making the words more clear. If you’re reading something aloud, you might think that’s pretty weird. Since you think it’s weird, you’re brain remembers it better because it sticks out in your mind. An example from Psychology Today said that “ when you meet up years later with friends from grade school, everyone remembers the names of the kids who were different from the crowd in some way.”

The second thing you could do is give yourself a treat after reading or writing a certain part of something. An example from GoConqr shows that one way you could do it is to put a gummy bear on every paragraph. After you read that paragraph, you get to eat that tasty gummy bear. This is a great way to help motivate you to study for a test. Also, who doesn’t love a yummy snack once in awhile? This is not recommended if you have low willpower and would eat the gummy bears without reading at all.

Another great way to study, especially for science classes, is to draw a diagram of what you’re studying. According to GoConqr, this helps you create an optical memory and helps you memorize information, especially for difficult topics. It even extends to help subjects like history. For example, if you’re trying to visualize a battle, then you could try to draw the battle. After you draw it, you could add information about it all over the picture.

There are many other tips you could use, but these ones seem like they might help the most with studying. If you follow these tips and what your teacher says to study, then you will be able to get a great grade on your test.