Bidding for Good

The online auction, Bids for Kids, looks to improve technology for Horizon Honors.

Photo Courtesy of Joseph Grosjean

Bids for Kids is an online auction and the proceeds go towards updating Horizon Honor’s technology.

Jake Matise, Sports Editor

On Nov. 3, 2014, Horizon Honors is hosting an online auction to raise money to support new technology in the school. This auction is titled Bids for Kids, and all proceeds from the auction will go towards purchasing iPads for students in kindergarten through fourth grade and acquiring more Chromebooks for students in fifth through twelfth grade. The auction is sponsored by Team Orthodontics and is on biddingforgood.com.

There are more than 400 items available to be won on the Bids for Kids site with more being added. The products for sale range from gift cards to clothing, electronics, and even jewelry. There is even reserved seating for Eagles basketball games this season up for auction as well as Arizona Cardinals memorabilia and limited edition Horizon Wear sweatshirts. Don’t let this opportunity pass you by! Most items are in limited quantity. Registration is open for those interested in bidding on exclusive items and supporting the school.

Mona Volden, director of parent partnership programs at Horizon Honors, has been in charge of setting up the auction. Volden stated that a committee of volunteers that worked on Eagle Day, a golf tournament and silent auction, decided to create Bids for Kids for it to be more accessible to the community. “We had analyzed and gotten feedback from some of the parents, and they said that they would rather pay for the auction items than pay to go to the event and bid on the item,” explained Volden. “So, we came up with an online auction, so everyone would be able to participate, and they could do it on their schedule.”

Volden also said that the most challenging aspect of putting Bids for Kids together was acquiring the items.

“We go by the ‘who do you know’ concept with our committee of parents,” Volden had commented. “We don’t ask them to go to vendors that they’re not familiar with, we say, ‘Who do you know?’ So if they went to a specific dry cleaner and said to them, ‘Will you support my child’s school?’ and ask them for a donation. We also do Kids’ Aid in the fourth quarter, where we ask our parents to support the auction.”

According to Volden, the number of items this year is even more than the number they had last year.  “We have 491 items this year, and last year we had 408, so we have even more than we did last year.” You can support Bids for Kids by making a bid on the website biddingforgood.com. The auction starts November 3, with some items expiring as soon as Nov. 4, so don’t miss out on the chance to win special items and support your school.