The Perfect Pet

The members of the Horizon Sun take on yet another debate: which pet is the best.

The best pet is a personal debate, but one that should be addressed.

Kalyn McLeod

Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor

Everybody knows that a dog is a man’s best friend. However, not everyone agrees. Many have other pets, and consider them part of their family. And some strong opinions come with defending family members. At The Horizon Sun, each columnist has their own opinion on what the best pet is. Many different factors contribute to these opinions, such as how friendly, obedient, or athletic the pet is. Allergies contribute to picking a favorite pet as well. Below are our takes on what pet is best.

Selina Fluty, Editor-in-Chief: Cats. That’s it.

Erika Sonnemann-Creed, Editor of Features & Extras: Rats, the rats, we’re the rats. We prey at night, we stalk at night, we’re the rats.

Hannah Browning, Editor of Campus Life: Hedgehogs are the best pet because their quills 

can hurt people I don’t like.

Max Larsen, Editor of Student Opinion: Everyone has their own preference, which is why I believe there is no “best” pet. Just kidding, loser. It’s a chameleon, and if you think otherwise, then we can’t be friends. Dogs are cool too tho. 

Kalyn Mcleod, Columnist: For the first nine long years of my life, the closest thing I had to a pet was a beetle, because my brother was allergic to everything. But then his allergy treatment worked, and the next thing I knew we had a tiny labradoodle puppy. A dog is the only pet that is safe for my brother, and my parents will allow, so I don’t have too much experience with any other pet. 

Dogs will always be there for you. They will come greet you at the door with a wagging tail. And my dog, Skye, will bark if you do not sit down and pet her within four minutes of getting home. He will always make me feel better, especially when I am stressed. It’s also so refreshing to get outside with your dog for a walk. And there is nothing more calming than cuddling up with a pup in a nice warm blanket in the winter. Alongside that, most dogs can sense when something is wrong. If I have to stay home sick, Skye will follow me around everywhere, to make sure I am always okay. Dogs are also loyal, obedient, and are easy to train. Plus, dogs are intelligent and know when they are doing something wrong. Cats don’t care if they do something wrong, and you can’t just train a hedgehog to sit.

Don’t get me wrong, I have pet-sitted both cats and hedgehogs, and they were pleasant to look after. But it is incredibly hard to play and cuddle with hedgehogs. And cats can be straight up jerks. Even though dogs can also brats and annoyances, dogs are for sure the best pet!

Lilly Wolfe, Columnist: Hermit crabs.

Madeeha Akhtar, Columnist: I have a pet cockatiel named Shadow. I do love him very much, but birds are messy pooping machines. So, I have to go with cats. Usually, when I tell people that I like cats, even though I have a bird, they think I’m crazy. They’re not wrong, but they’re thinking that for the wrong reason. Kittens are so tiny and playful, and cats are sassy, which is a trait I admire about them. Although cats are known for not caring for their owners’ opinions, they can be so cuddly, cute, and caring. Dogs are nice, but they can be loud. Hamsters, fish, and turtles don’t do anything. So, cats.

Carsten Oyer, Columnist: You can’t beat dogs. They’re loyal, and as a Hufflepuff, I respect that. Not to mention that most breeds are either cute or cool looking. I like cats, too, but a dog is clearly the best option for a pet, especially when you’re busy and don’t have the time to extensively care for your pet. They’re low maintenance and super fun to play with.

Gael Solis, Columnist: Dogs, because you can make memes about them and they are really friendly. Cats are another contender, because they are cute and can be trained to annoy people.

Cameron Foley, Columnist: I’ve never had a cat, but dogs are annoying. So, to quote Selina Fluty, “Cats. That’s it.”

Yaniv Golden, Columnist: The Black Mamba, here’s a reason why they are the best.

Bella Rao, Columnist: Dogs.

Ben Geist, Columnist: Geckos are good. Geckos are cool. Geckos are reptiles. I like geckos.

Isabel Kasathsko, Columnist: Personally, I don’t really have a favorite pet. I believe that someone’s opinion on the best pet varies. Even though I just said that I don’t have a favorite pet, that was a lie. Dogs will always be the best. Sometimes dogs can scare me, but there are more good dogs than bad ones out there.

So, in conclusion, everyone has an opinion. Although dogs and cats tend to be the most popular contenders for best pet, every animal can be a wonderful addition to a family.