An employee at the Target forensics lab in classic Target uniform.
The Target Forensics Lab
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 11, 2024

Target, just like many other retailers, has fallen victim to shoplifters, with almost a billion dollars...

Israeli protests stirred debate over Netanyahus position.
Israeli Citizens Demand a Ceasefire
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Israeli citizens stormed central Jerusalem on Sunday, March 31 in the largest anti-government protest...

A cow.
Animals and People Across the Country Catch Bird Flu
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Across the United States, farm animals such as cows and chickens have been testing positive for a disease...

Ukrainian forces survey damage.
Republican Rep. Confident Ukraine Aid Will Make It to House Floor
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 5, 2024

Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY) said in a recent CNN “State of the Union” interview that he was confident...

The finished product.
Blissful Brookies
Matthew Greco, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Cookies are amazing. You can put anything in them. Brownies are chocolatey goodness. They’re always...

Dan Schneider hugs a cast member.
Nickelodeon’s Dark Side
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Dan Schneider, director of many of the older Nickelodeon shows like “iCarly,” “The Amanda Show!,”...

There were three racers who did not finish the race.
Australian Grand Prix 2024 Summed Up
Matthew Greco, Columnist • March 28, 2024

The Australian Grand Prix which took place over two days has just come to a close. This article covers...

Apple’s Dystopian Device

Apple’s new mixed-reality headset is being overused.
The Apple Vision Pro is a strange device with dangers for society.
CNET

The Apple Vision Pro is a first-of-its-kind mixed reality headset, which was announced on June 5, 2023. The headset incorporates a normal virtual reality headset with new technological advancements to combine the digital and real world all in one. At first, it was believed that the purpose of the headset was to be a tool used around people’s houses, but customers had other plans. Not long after the release of the headset on Feb. 2, 2024, videos were posted to social media showing people using their Vision Pros out in the open world, leading many people to ask the same question: is the Vision Pro leading humanity towards a dystopian future?

The first example of the Vision Pro having a scary grasp on society is the clips of people using the device out in public. The Washington Examiner states that videos have been posted to social media showing people crossing streets, riding public transportation, eating at restaurants, and driving Teslas while wearing the device. One large reason why people wear the device is to constantly stay engaged with content, whether it be games, social media, or movies. People can now get that dopamine hit at all times, no matter where they are or what they are doing. It is also concerning that when technology addictions have become such a large problem, devices like the Vision Pro only worsen the issue.

People on social media have made connections to fictional movies and shows that are seeming to become reality. According to NBC News, the Vision Pro has sparked comparisons with the Netflix show “Black Mirror,” a show based around the negative side of society’s technological fixation. Another connection made is to the book and 2018 movie “Ready Player One,” which focuses on the human race using virtual reality to escape the physical world. The connections between the film and device go further , with the reveal trailer for the Vision Pro featuring a scene eerily similar to a clip in the “Ready Player One” trailer.

Even Apple itself is advocating for the Vision Pro to become part of everyday life. CNET wrote that in the Vision Pro release trailer, a father was shown using his Vision Pro while playing soccer with his daughter. The trailer showered the father using his email whilst interacting with his daughter. Some may say it helps with productivity, while others point out how it’s just following the trend of other virtual reality headsets that are usually used once or twice in a long time by consumers. The trailer is designed to appeal to the working class as a helpful tool, when in reality it’s just an overpriced headset for the rich.

The Apple Vision Pro is a revolutionary piece of technology that has shown signs of dystopia even since its announcement. Even though it is a novelty, it may be more dangerous than consumers expect.