Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Religious Affliation Declining

Religious Affliation Declining

A recent survey by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life has found a decline in the number of people who practice religion. From 1991 to 2000, believers of all faiths were at a consistent increase, but that’s declined in recent years. Now one in five Americans now claim to be agnostic, atheist, or have no religion. The current percentage of people in the United States who have no religion is 15 percent; in 1973  it was only 7 percent. According to the Pew Research Center, which is a research organization focused on religion in America, said one third of people ages 18 to 22 are religiously unaffiliated, replacing the past generation of believers. In the United States, “…the largest single faith group is Catholics, who make up about 22 percent of the population. Their numbers have held steady, mostly because an influx of immigrants has replaced the many Catholics who were raised in the church and left in the last five years,” said Mr. Gregory A. Smith, a senior researcher at the Pew Forum. Phil Zuckerman, a professor of sociology and secular studies at Pitzer College in Southern California, has another view. He commented, “The significant majority of the religiously unaffiliated tend to be left leaning, tend to support the Democratic Party, support gay marriage and environmental causes.” The age group and political ideology of non believers are thought to be the leading influence in their lack of religious affiliation.

In my life, my family is very involved with our church. I like being involved, but not to the extent that my parents are. I think it can be very hard for church to affect you in a negative way unless it is forced. Even if it isn’t forced, it can still be dreaded or disliked which is okay. I think that our generation is changing. For example, my parents don’t attend church as frequently as my grandparents. Would it be uncommon if we don’t show up as much as our parents? People now are different from people 40 years ago, and change in religion and people should be expected.