Staying at Horizon Honors for High School

Eighth graders Ella Coste and Roshi Patel pose in front of the Learning Center while being photobombed by seventh grader Jessica Espinoza. All three girls plan to continue at Horizon Honors for high school.

Emily LaBatt

Emily LaBatt, Columnist

As the second half of the year begins, and course request forms are being filled out and turned in, many students are opting to switch schools. The question that comes to my mind is why anyone would want to leave Horizon Honors. This is only my second year here, but I have already had such a good experience. I think staying at Horizon Honors for high school is undoubtedly the better choice to make.

The size is one reason. At Horizon Honors, I can connect well with my teachers, whether it be to talk over an assignment or further explain a concept. With only fifteen to twenty students in most of my classes, the teacher can give more time to each individual, and ensure that they understand the lessons. Also, I share classes with many of the same people throughout the day, making it easier to bond and form friendships. Bigger isn’t necessarily better.

Most students who are leaving for a different school claim it is because they offer more courses that would set them on track for their future. But to be honest, hardly anyone really knows what career they will pursue when they are in eighth grade. Horizon Honors offers a strong base of core classes that ensure college readiness. The fact that Horizon Honors also offers honors and Advanced Placement classes is a bonus. Even if the large public school offers more fun electives, their core classes might not be as effective.

Learn, believe, dream, and dare are the last reason. At Horizon Honors, I feel a push to learn more, try harder, and go a little further than what is required. I’ve never really experienced this before at other schools, and I feel like it doesn’t exist at all in many schools. The words that the school has chosen to write everywhere really epitomize the values of Horizon Honors, and they are values that I would want to be known for.