Protesters clash with police.
University Campuses Become Battlegrounds as Tensions over Gaza Rise
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 29, 2024

On Monday, April 23 police arrested 47 pro-Palestinian protesters at Yale in Connecticut. In a statement,...

The finished product.
Juicy Jell-O Cupcakes
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 29, 2024

Cupcakes and Jell-O are two classic American sweet treats. When you combine them, you get a sweet, Jell-O...

Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

Arizona Homeless Problem

Homelessness in Arizona has been on a steady, noticeable rise.
A neighborhood in Phoenix that has been overrun by homelessness and poverty.
AZCentral

Many cities in the United States and across the world experience homelessness and poverty. In America, big cities like Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago are always in the news for a new homeless statistic or increase in poverty. However, less populated cities and states also experience immense amounts of homelessness. Phoenix and the city’s in its metropolitan area have experienced a rise in homelessness that has been noticed by residents and tourists alike. 

Arizona’s homeless population has been growing faster than much of the nation, and Phoenix is being forced to house the homeless. According to Az.gov, there are about 13,500 homeless people across the state, which is a 25 percent increase since 2020, and a 62 percent increase since 2012. Phoenix alone has over 9,000 homeless on its streets, and Tucson has over 2000 homeless residing in its city limits. Despite Arizona’s harsh summers, the state still manages to have one of the largest populations of people experiencing homelessness in the nation. U.S. News states that Arizona has the seventh highest population of homeless people in the nation. Arizona’s homeless population is comparable to that of Pennsylvania (12,600 homeless) and Massachusetts (15,500 homeless).

Every homeless person has their own reason for having to live on the streets. Some people may be homeless due to lack of money, and others may be homeless because of an addiction to drugs or alcohol. According to AZCentral, the largest contributor to homelessness in the state is the high housing and rental costs the metro area has seen in recent years. Low income families are being forced to move on to the dangerous streets to avoid debt. Drug and mental health issues are also plaguing low income residents, which is hindering their ability to work, which leads to homelessness. Once homeless, many never get back to a normal life, since the drug and alcohol problems on the streets are so bad and nothing is being done to resolve the issues.

Homeless people have also found their way into public places that are meant for families and nature-enjoyers alike. According to the National Parks and Recreation Association, homelessness in public parks has skyrocketed across all 50 states, including Arizona. The homeless use both public parks as encampments because of the open space they possess. The homeless also don’t have to worry as much about being kicked out, since most parks are public property. Local authorities don’t put in all the effort to remove homeless people from parks.

Many people that become homeless have a very slim chance of finding a job or finding a place to live, which is why those with the ability to help should assist the homeless. One of the best ways to assist those living in poverty is to volunteer with an organization that is helping resolve the homeless issues. The City of Phoenix has a list of organizations that are helping the homeless get off the ground. Making donations to these organizations is also a beneficial way to help. 

Homelessness is an issue that has ravaged the nation, as well as the state and its people, for a long time. There is a lot that needs to be done to resolve this rapidly growing problem.

View Comments (3)