An infographic concerning the Bird Flu.
Bird Flu (H5N1) Outbreak Information
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • May 3, 2024

Protesters clash with police.
University Campuses Become Battlegrounds as Tensions over Gaza Rise
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 29, 2024

On Monday, April 23 police arrested 47 pro-Palestinian protesters at Yale in Connecticut. In a statement,...

The finished product.
Juicy Jell-O Cupcakes
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 29, 2024

Cupcakes and Jell-O are two classic American sweet treats. When you combine them, you get a sweet, Jell-O...

Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

College Football Playoff Sparks Controversy

Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama all make the cut after Florida State and Georgia fail to secure spots in the playoffs.
Lead players on this years playoff teams.
CNN
Lead players on this year’s playoff teams.

The College Football Playoff (CFP) Committee’s debate over the four available spots in this season’s playoff was one of the most controversial for them to agree upon since the beginning of the CFP in 2014.

The top seed of the playoff went to the 13-0 Michigan Wolverines, who no doubt had a guaranteed spot in the playoffs after winning the Big 10 Championship game against Iowa and having great wins against teams like Ohio State and Penn State. 

The Washington Huskies, who are the PAC 12 Champions, secured the second spot in the playoff, finishing the season with a 13-0 record after beating Oregon by outstanding performances from Heisman finalist Michael Penix and star receiver Rome Odunze.

The Texas Longhorns are the third ranked team in the playoff after going 12-1 and winning the Big 12 Championship over Oklahoma State. The Longhorns’ only loss this year was a 34-30 game that came down to the wire against Oklahoma, who was ranked number 12 in the AP poll at the time of the game on Oct. 7. Since then, Texas has been on fire, outscoring their opponents 194-130 and winning their last seven games, according to ESPN

The fourth and most controversial spot of the playoffs belongs to 12-1 Alabama, who defeated Georgia in the Southeastern Conference Championship, handing the Bulldogs their first loss in three years. The Crimson Tide’s only loss came in week two of the season after being embarassed at home by Texas 34-24. The 13-0 Florida State Semionles are the first Power Five team to go undefeated, win their conference championship, and still be left out of the playoff. Many fans and analysts are upset with the decision of the committee.

The semifinals for the college football players begin on New Year’s Day with the Rose Bowl, where Michigan will battle Alabama, and in the Sugar Bowl, where Washington will face Texas. The winners of those games will compete for a National Championship on Jan. 8, at NRG Stadium in Houston,Texas. This year marks the last four-team playoff as the Committee has decided to move to a 12-team playoff next season.