Protesters clash with police.
University Campuses Become Battlegrounds as Tensions over Gaza Rise
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 29, 2024

On Monday, April 23 police arrested 47 pro-Palestinian protesters at Yale in Connecticut. In a statement,...

The finished product.
Juicy Jell-O Cupcakes
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 29, 2024

Cupcakes and Jell-O are two classic American sweet treats. When you combine them, you get a sweet, Jell-O...

Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

Republican Rep. Confident Ukraine Aid Will Make It to House Floor

Republican Rep. Mike Lawler is confident the Ukraine aid bill will make it to the House floor despite far-right outrage.
Ukrainian forces survey damage.
Al Jazeera
Ukrainian forces survey damage.

Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY) said in a recent CNN “State of the Union” interview that he was confident that a Ukraine aid bill would be introduced in the House of Representatives after the Easter recess. The Hill reports that Rep. Lawler said in the interview that the bill was “critical” for the U.S. and its allies. Lawler, a sponsor for the Defending Borders, Defending Democracies Act, is one of a handful of outspoken Republicans in favor of aid to Ukraine.

The Pew Research Center found in a study last year that 48 percent of Republicans believe that the U.S. is giving too much aid to Ukraine. A study done in August 2023 by CNN found that overall 55 percent of people opposed giving additional support to Ukraine. It seems, however, that Speaker Mike Johnson’s support of the bill may be a turning point. The Hill reports that due to a series of resignations in the House Republican party, the party’s already slim margin has only shrunk. This means that Ukraine aid may be more realistic than before.

Ukraine, however, may not have time to wait on Congress’s schedule. Euronews reports that Russian forces may attempt a new offensive in the Donetsk region after Ukrainian forces repelled a mechanized assault near Avdiivka. In an interview with CBS News, Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky once again called for support from the United States, citing their under-supplied soldiers and lack of artillery to counter Russian action.

While there is hope that Congress does send another aid package to Ukraine, it can not be guaranteed just yet. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s motion to remove Speaker Johnson, as shown by AP News, proves that there is still a battle ahead. While some representatives find the motion nothing to be taken seriously, it does pose the question of whether Speaker Johnson will be able to find enough Republican support for the aid package bill for Ukraine.