Protesters clash with police.
University Campuses Become Battlegrounds as Tensions over Gaza Rise
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 29, 2024

On Monday, April 23 police arrested 47 pro-Palestinian protesters at Yale in Connecticut. In a statement,...

The finished product.
Juicy Jell-O Cupcakes
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 29, 2024

Cupcakes and Jell-O are two classic American sweet treats. When you combine them, you get a sweet, Jell-O...

Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title

German soccer club Bayer Leverkusen won their first league title five weeks before the end of the season.
The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
AP News

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and Werder Bremen ended with Leverkusen winning five to zero. Not only did Leverkusen win the match, the win also gave the club their first Bundesliga title in its 120 year history, and they clinched it five weeks before the end of the season. In the process of winning the title, Leverkusen broke records and ended decade long trends.

Bayer Leverkusen had just come off one of the wildest comebacks the previous season, and were looking to continue the success in the 2023-2024 season. The club started the season with a win, then another, and another, and yet another. In fact, the team had a 43-game unbeaten streak in all competitions by the time they had won the league, according to the Bundesliga. The way soccer scoring works, a win awards the teams with three points, a draw or tie awards teams with one point, and a loss doesn’t pay any points. Leverkusen’s unbeaten streak meant that the club had 79 points in their possession by the end of the match against Werder Bremen. The club had also pulled ahead to a 16 point lead over second place Bayern Munich. With there being only 15 points left to be played for in the season, Leverkusen automatically won the title. By winning the title, they had also ended the 11-year winning streak Bayern Munich had in the Bundesliga.

Much of Leverkusen’s success is attributed to the club’s manager Xabi Alonso. The Athletic states that Alonso, a former Liverpool and Bayern Munich player, took over the manager position at the club in October of 2022. At the time, Leverkusen were in a relegation position, and had yet to find much success. In his first season as a manager, Alonso led the team to a fifth place finish by the end of the 2022-2023 Bundesliga season. Alonso stayed as manager for the 2023-2024 season, and the rest is history.

Winning the Bundesliga also got rid of a nickname that has haunted the club since the 2000s. GOAL states that Bayer Leverkusen gained the nickname “Neverkusen” or “Vizekusen” in German, after finishing runner up in the Bundesliga four separate times in the early 2000s. The club also lost the prestigious Champions League final in 2002, as well as losing the DFB Pokal trophy the same year, all after coming second in the league. Another second was added to their tally in the 2011-2012 season. With the win in the 2023-2024 season, Leverkusen are no longer “Neverkusen.”

Bayer Leverkusen proved to the world that they were capable of winning the title, and doing so in dominant fashion. With the success shown by the club, it wouldn’t be far fetched to say they may establish a future dynasty.