An employee at the Target forensics lab in classic Target uniform.
The Target Forensics Lab
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 11, 2024

Target, just like many other retailers, has fallen victim to shoplifters, with almost a billion dollars...

Israeli protests stirred debate over Netanyahus position.
Israeli Citizens Demand a Ceasefire
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Israeli citizens stormed central Jerusalem on Sunday, March 31 in the largest anti-government protest...

A cow.
Animals and People Across the Country Catch Bird Flu
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Across the United States, farm animals such as cows and chickens have been testing positive for a disease...

Ukrainian forces survey damage.
Republican Rep. Confident Ukraine Aid Will Make It to House Floor
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 5, 2024

Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY) said in a recent CNN “State of the Union” interview that he was confident...

The finished product.
Blissful Brookies
Matthew Greco, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Cookies are amazing. You can put anything in them. Brownies are chocolatey goodness. They’re always...

Dan Schneider hugs a cast member.
Nickelodeon’s Dark Side
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Dan Schneider, director of many of the older Nickelodeon shows like “iCarly,” “The Amanda Show!,”...

There were three racers who did not finish the race.
Australian Grand Prix 2024 Summed Up
Matthew Greco, Columnist • March 28, 2024

The Australian Grand Prix which took place over two days has just come to a close. This article covers...

Plastic Handguns?

Adaptation of photograph by Creative Tools, available under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Copyright © 2012 Creative Tools.

What can a printer do with plastic? On May 4, 2013, the world’s first 3D gun was created.

Cody Wilson, a 25 year old law student, created the weapon using a 3D printer. He dedicated eight months to creating the gun which he calls the Liberator. The creation of the weapon was a part of a non-profit organization called Defense Distributed, founded by Wilson.

Before the Liberator was invented, only interchangeable parts of firearms were made from plastic, making this a huge breakthrough in technology. The weapon was printed on a Stratasys Dimension SST printer. The Liberator is almost entirely made of plastic, except for two pieces of metal which include the nail for the firing pin and a 0.380-caliber round. The firearm can also release other types of ammo.

Laws have started increasing because of fears of terrorist attacks and for safety precautions. The government has concerns about the 3D firearm falling into the wrong hands. A part of the biggest concern overall is the fact that since the weapon is made from plastic, it will be capable of going through a metal detector without being detected. New York Senator, Charles Schumer, is trying very hard to ban 3D firearms. On Sunday May 5, 2013, Senator Schumer said, “Passing the law would not only prevent people from making these parts, it would raise awareness on the issue…We’re facing a situation where anyone [a felon, a terrorist] can open a gun factory in their garage.” A 3D printer is capable of creating an assault weapon, what will it do next?