Horizon Honors Falls Short in Spite of Impressive Comeback

The Eagles lost 53-56 to Bourgade Catholic on Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016, despite an amazing comeback.

Jake Matise

Both teams anticipate a rebound in the second quarter of the JV boys’ basketball game. The Eagles kept it close, but ultimately lost 53-56.

Jake Matise, Sports Editor

On Wednesday, Dec. 7, The Horizon Honors JV boys’ basketball team faced off against Bourgade Catholic. Horizon Honors looked to improve their 2-2 record and give the fans a win at home. Unfortunately for the Eagles, they found themselves on the wrong end of a closely contested 53-56 score.

The game began in a very unusual way, as Horizon Honors was called for a technical foul for not having a scorebook. Bourgade Catholic was unable to capitalize on the technical, missing both free throws and having an empty possession. Horizon Honors struggled to take care of the ball early on, as Bourgade Catholic’s full court press produced multiple turnovers. Bourgade Catholic also had difficulty scoring, and the first quarter ended with Bourgade Catholic having a slim 13-15 lead.

Bourgade Catholic controlled the second quarter and was able to hold the Eagles to merely 3 points for the first four minutes. Horizon Honors struggled to get rebounds and often found themselves being called for shooting fouls on the defensive end, which Bourgade Catholic capitalized on. Sophomore Hargun Sachdev scored 6 points near the end of the second quarter, but the Eagles were down 24-34 going into halftime.

Horizon Honors entered the 3rd quarter determined to erase the ten-point deficit. Sophomores Cameron Taradash and Gabe Knippers entered the game and made an impact immediately, combined with the efforts of junior Cameron Klein. The Eagles were able to find the holes in Bourgade Catholic’s full court press and were only down 38-41 heading into the final quarter.

The Eagles were ready to do whatever they had to do to complete the comeback, and came painfully close to doing just that. Horizon Honors continued to click offensively, but Bourgade Catholic was able to answer back when they had to. With the score 48-54 with two minutes remaining, Cameron Klein made multiple shots, including a three-pointer, and the Eagles were only down by one point. Unfortunately for Horizon Honors, they were left no choice but to intentionally foul, and Bourgade Catholic was able to make their free throws.

Although the Eagles ultimately lost the game, they played hard and made the game much closer than it looked like it would turn out to be. The loss to Bourgade Catholic drops Horizon Honors’ record to 2-3. The Eagles will look to get back to a 0.500 record at home versus Gilbert Classical Academy on Friday, Dec. 9.