COVID vaccine before being administered.
COVID Vaccine Found to Have Three Links to Cardiac and Neurological Conditions
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • February 27, 2024

A new vaccine safety study has uncovered new side effects to many COVID vaccines. The effects, which...

Satellite menacingly headed towards Earth.
Forecast Shows Falling Satellite
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to NPR, European Remote Sensing 2, (ERS-2), a European satellite launched in 1995, was recently...

The fossil was determined to be a fraud.
Famous Fossil or Art Project?
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to CNN, researchers say that a famous fossil has caused a scandal. The fossil was discovered...

Title screen for the new adaptation.
“Avatar: The Last Airbender” Live Action Debut
Jet Taft, Columnist • February 27, 2024

The Nickelodeon original “Avatar: The Last Airbender” (ATLA), which ran from 2005 to 2008, has finally...

Hind Rajab is one of many children killed in the war between Israel and Hamas.
Five-Year-Old Palestinian Girl Found Dead After Being Trapped Under Israeli Fire
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 16, 2024

Hind Rajab, a five-year-old girl, was found dead under a car in Gaza. On Jan. 29, 2024, Rajab and her...

Maison Des Champs climbing Sphere.
Man Scales Sphere
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 16, 2024

On Feb. 7, a man by the name of Maison Des Champs, who uses the online name 'Pro-Life Spider-Man,' was...

Jon Stewart as host of The Daily Show.
Jon Stewart Returns to “The Daily Show”
Suhani Singla, Columnist • February 16, 2024

CNN states that after eight years of absence, Jon Stewart has returned to “The Daily Show,” a comedic...

Media Burnout and Strategies for Addressing It

With news becoming more and more accessible, media-related stress and anxiety is becoming a reality for many.
The news can be depressing. Thats bad for your mental health.
Mental Health America
The news can be depressing. That’s bad for your mental health.

NBC reported in October of 2022 that a series of universities and institutes have attributed doom and gloom news stories to a decline in mental health. With news outlets reporting war, disease, and other frightening stories, it can be difficult to look on the bright side of things. Lesley Alderman wrote for the Washington Post that many of her patients began to appear tired and disengaged with the world, which she dubbed ‘hope fatigue.’

Hope fatigue and doom scrolling, another issue that wreaks havoc on mental health, can cause people to feel anxious, apathetic about world events, and burnt out. The American Psychological Association (APA) describes doom scrolling as the act of spending excessive amounts of time reading negative news stories that increase stress and anxiety. There is a solution, however, as hope fatigue and doom scrolling can be addressed. Alderman continues by suggesting that one could take a break from reading the news, even if it is for a little while. However, to many it can be frustrating that they cannot fix the issues plaguing the world. Focusing on the issues that can be promptly fixed can help reduce the effects of media burnout. Mayo Clinic reports that doing activities such as community service can boost not only mental, but also physical health.

In reality, the world will always have its issues as it is the intrinsic fact of life. Despite all this, it is important that America and humanity as a whole remain optimistic. Optimism is the flame that drives nations and people to be better. It is imperative that the mental health of many be maintained in the name of that optimism. America has always been a nation that desires to improve upon and fix the injustices of the past, and because of that, America and its people must maintain hope for the future. Don’t lose hope, and don’t doom scroll too much.

View Comments (1)