Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Astros Sent Back to Space

After a long series, the Texas Rangers send the Houston Astros back home.
Rangers end Astros season in a turbulent seven game series.
ESPN
Rangers end Astros’ season in a turbulent seven game series.

The Houston Astros and Texas Rangers went head to head on Oct. 23 for the American League Championship Series. The Astros had home field advantage, but they are known to lose on their own diamond. The series ended in the Rangers eliminating the Astros in Game 7 with a score of 11-4. This advanced the Rangers to the World Series, which will be played against the Arizona Diamondbacks, making  it the Rangers third time in the World Series since 2011.

From the jump, the Rangers were bringing in runs. In only the first inning the Rangers’ star shortstop Corey Seager hit a bomb to right center field to put a run on board. The Rangers followed this by bringing in another two runs later in the inning to lead with a score of 3-0. The Astros pushed back in the first three innings bringing in two runs, one being a home run by Alex Bregman, the Astros’ third baseman. But a report from ABC points out how that didn’t seem to stop the Rangers. They drove in five more runs, making it seem like a one sided game. In the seventh inning, Rangers’ Nathaniel Lowe hit a two run home run, but Astros star Yordan Álvarez pushed back with a hit, resulting in an RBI that brought Bregman home. Adolis García from the Rangers has been hot all throughout the series, and that streak continued in Game 7. He hit a home run, putting the game at 11-3. In the ninth inning, the Astros had their last shot to come back. It seemed that they never got going throughout the whole game, due to how their star player José Altuve had been the most unstoppable in the series, but didn’t do much for his team this game. For the Astros Last chance, Jose LeClerc hit a solo home run. The game ended with a groundout from Marcus Semien to end the series, making the Texas Rangers the ALCS champions and leading to Adolis García winning ALCS MVP.

Throughout this whole series, both teams were unstoppable. Both put up outstanding numbers each game, but it came down to one team. There were clearly unsolved problems, when in game 5 Astros reliever Bryan Abrue hit Adolis García, who previously hit a home run. Him and catcher Martin Maldonado got into a huge argument leading to a fight that required interventions from both teams, which ended up in García and Astros Manager Dusty Baker being thrown out of the game. There didn’t seem to be any grudges held in game 7, they just wanted to prove each other wrong. And the Rangers did just that, by showing the Astros what they’re all about by taking home the win.