Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Red Bull: More Than an Energy Drink Company

Red Bull uses the oddest, yet most effective types of advertising.
A small amount of the sports Red Bull has ventured into
The Mirror

Red Bull, an Austrian-based energy drink company, is one of the most popular brands in the entire world. Their name might not be as well known if it wasn’t for their odd, yet effective marketing strategies. Red Bull has been sponsoring sports teams, athletes, and events for years, and people have gotten used to seeing Red Bull branding wherever they go. 

Red Bull is well known for their presence in extreme sports as a popular sponsor for athletes doing all sorts of wild stunts and performances. According to Segmentify, Red Bull has sponsored over 500 athletes. Red Bull targets people who are willing to do things that are so crazy no other company would think about sponsoring them, which has given Red Bull a market advantage over their competitors. Red Bull has sponsored people doing things from extreme cliff diving all the way to jumping from space.

Many of the most extreme competitions are sponsored and operated by Red Bull. Voy Media states that Red Bull organized a wide range of events that challenge athletes and non-athletes alike. Red Bull hosts events like Red Bull Soapbox and Red Bull Flugtag, which promote creativity and design. On the other hand, they host many skill-based events, like the Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series or the Red Bull Air Race. They also host competitions that focus on less common sports, like the Red Bull Dance Your Style competition. Red Bull does all these events to share sports and activities that would otherwise not be possible. 

Many fans from a variety of different sports have noticed Red Bull having a presence in their leagues. Instead of just sponsoring teams, Red Bull owns their own teams. According to The Mirror, Red Bull has partial or majority ownership over 17 sports teams in 11 different leagues. Red Bull owns and operates five different soccer teams in five different countries, two Formula One teams, two rallycross teams, three motorcycle racing teams, two ice hockey teams, a sailing team, a skateboarding team, and a skiing team. Many of these sports teams have seen great success over the last few years, which has heightened the popularity of both the teams and the Red Bull company itself. 

Red Bull also has well known advertisements that use a unique animation style that mimics an animation drawn by colored pencils. While the marketing stunts can be quite costly, the resulting profit makes it entirely worth it. Cascade reported that in 2022, Red Bull profited around $10.24 Billion. Red Bull spent about $3.1 billion on marketing costs, which is around 25 to 30 percent of their total revenue. A contributing factor to their large profits is their high market share in countries like the United States. All of Red Bulls stunts also help advertise their brand, which helps cover some of the costs. 

Red Bull’s marketing strategy is one that seems odd on the surface, but is highly effective and has helped the company become one of the biggest in the world.