COVID vaccine before being administered.
COVID Vaccine Found to Have Three Links to Cardiac and Neurological Conditions
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • February 27, 2024

A new vaccine safety study has uncovered new side effects to many COVID vaccines. The effects, which...

Satellite menacingly headed towards Earth.
Forecast Shows Falling Satellite
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to NPR, European Remote Sensing 2, (ERS-2), a European satellite launched in 1995, was recently...

The fossil was determined to be a fraud.
Famous Fossil or Art Project?
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to CNN, researchers say that a famous fossil has caused a scandal. The fossil was discovered...

Title screen for the new adaptation.
“Avatar: The Last Airbender” Live Action Debut
Jet Taft, Columnist • February 27, 2024

The Nickelodeon original “Avatar: The Last Airbender” (ATLA), which ran from 2005 to 2008, has finally...

Hind Rajab is one of many children killed in the war between Israel and Hamas.
Five-Year-Old Palestinian Girl Found Dead After Being Trapped Under Israeli Fire
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 16, 2024

Hind Rajab, a five-year-old girl, was found dead under a car in Gaza. On Jan. 29, 2024, Rajab and her...

Maison Des Champs climbing Sphere.
Man Scales Sphere
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 16, 2024

On Feb. 7, a man by the name of Maison Des Champs, who uses the online name 'Pro-Life Spider-Man,' was...

Jon Stewart as host of The Daily Show.
Jon Stewart Returns to “The Daily Show”
Suhani Singla, Columnist • February 16, 2024

CNN states that after eight years of absence, Jon Stewart has returned to “The Daily Show,” a comedic...

Bipartisan Border Bill Set to Fail in the House

After months of cooperation, a bipartisan bill concerning border security and military aid to Ukraine and Israel fails amid House Republican backlash.
Addressing the U.S-Mexico border is just one provision in the failed bill.
NBC News

The situation at the Mexico-U.S border is bleak. CNN reports that the number of unauthorized immigrants continues to grow to record high levels; a confusing mess of immigration bureaucracy makes it difficult for those who want to enter the country legally. The Cato Institute reports that of the 158 million people who wish to immigrate to the United States, only about 0.9 million are permitted to enter. The process to legally immigrate to the United States is long, complex, and extremely restrictive. In response to these mounting problems, senators on Sunday, Feb. 4, proposed new legislation to better enforce the border paired with aid for Israel and Ukraine. CNN continued by reporting that the bill would allow authorities to bar migrants (excluding unaccompanied minors) from entering the country, allow asylum officers to decide on immigration cases, and increase the standard of proof to cross the border.

The bill, however, has received backlash from a number of high ranking Republicans. BBC writes that a joint statement by four key House Republicans called it dead on arrival. On Wednesday,  Feb. 7, the bill failed to advance in the Senate. After the failed vote, the Senate would go into a procedural vote on the Ukraine, Taiwan, and Israel aid packages.

CNN reports that the failed bill has caused strife in the Republican party. Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) said that the failure to pass the bill undermined the trust of Republican constituents. Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO) called the Republican handling of the House “a circus.” The failure to pass the Border Control Bill, which was co-authored by GOP senators shows a growing rift in the party, a rift that could possibly have negative effects in November.