COVID vaccine before being administered.
COVID Vaccine Found to Have Three Links to Cardiac and Neurological Conditions
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • February 27, 2024

A new vaccine safety study has uncovered new side effects to many COVID vaccines. The effects, which...

Satellite menacingly headed towards Earth.
Forecast Shows Falling Satellite
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to NPR, European Remote Sensing 2, (ERS-2), a European satellite launched in 1995, was recently...

The fossil was determined to be a fraud.
Famous Fossil or Art Project?
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to CNN, researchers say that a famous fossil has caused a scandal. The fossil was discovered...

Title screen for the new adaptation.
“Avatar: The Last Airbender” Live Action Debut
Jet Taft, Columnist • February 27, 2024

The Nickelodeon original “Avatar: The Last Airbender” (ATLA), which ran from 2005 to 2008, has finally...

Hind Rajab is one of many children killed in the war between Israel and Hamas.
Five-Year-Old Palestinian Girl Found Dead After Being Trapped Under Israeli Fire
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 16, 2024

Hind Rajab, a five-year-old girl, was found dead under a car in Gaza. On Jan. 29, 2024, Rajab and her...

Maison Des Champs climbing Sphere.
Man Scales Sphere
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 16, 2024

On Feb. 7, a man by the name of Maison Des Champs, who uses the online name 'Pro-Life Spider-Man,' was...

Jon Stewart as host of The Daily Show.
Jon Stewart Returns to “The Daily Show”
Suhani Singla, Columnist • February 16, 2024

CNN states that after eight years of absence, Jon Stewart has returned to “The Daily Show,” a comedic...

Getting Ready for “Beauty and the Beast”

The “Beauty and the Beast” musical will be performed at school this spring.
Carsten Oyer
Domenica Alberca Escobar (left) and Colton Johnston (right) wait to audition for “Beauty and the Beast.”

Before Disney made “Beauty and the Beast” into a movie, it was originally a novel by Gabrielle-Suzanne de Villeneuve in 1740, according to Screenrant. “Beauty and the Beast” is about a prince who is under a curse which can only be broken with true love. The auditions are from Jan. 16 to Jan. 18. The performances will be on April 26, April 27, May 3, and May 4, taking place in the multipurpose room on the elementary side of the school. The music is by Alan Menken, lyrics are by Howard Ashman and Tim Rice, and the book is by Linda Woolverton. To learn more about these auditions, the Horizon Sun interviewed two members of the Horizon Honors drama program.

(Editor’s note: responses edited for clarity.)

The Horizon Sun: Why did you return to the Horizon Honors theater?

Connor Johnson (Junior): First of all, I am returning to Horizon Honors theater for two main reasons; mostly, I just love the environment, and it’s an incredibly fun place to hang out and make friends. I’m never bored during a rehearsal, and I’ve made countless memories with my friends in theater through improv, performances, rehearsals, and more. I also just enjoy performing and being in the shows, and I’ve been participating in them since I was in seventh grade.

Kennedy O’Nan (Sophomore): I returned to Horizon Honors theater because the community is such a fun place to be, and I have been able to grow a lot thanks to Mr. Garrett and Mrs. Wood!

The Sun: Why are you auditioning?

Johnson: This quarter, I’m auditioning for “Beauty and the Beast.” It’s a fantastic musical and will be one of the larger shows we’ve performed in terms of its scale. I’m excited to see how we pull it off. Just like when we performed “The Wizard of Oz,” it’s nice to perform a “classic” show like this. 

O’Nan: I am auditioning for “Beauty and the Beast” because it is one of my favorite Disney movies, but also one of my favorite performances. I love all the dance numbers and the variety of parts. 

The Sun: What convinced you to participate?

Johnson: It didn’t take much convincing for me to audition, but my friends are all very supportive, and I’ve been practicing to prepare myself for the audition. Plus, the audition environment is great, and I think Mr. Garrett and Mrs. Wood, our co-directors, do a great job of making sure it is welcoming and non-intimidating.

O’Nan: My family originally convinced me to audition last year for “The Crucible,” and after that, my love for performing grew, and I could not imagine not taking up the opportunity to join!

The Horizon Sun is excited to see how Horizon Honors puts on this amazing production.