How to Study for Finals

There are many ways to study effectively for upcoming finals.

The Study Gurus

Jolie Flack, Columnist

Finals are approaching and with schools being online, things will look different this year. Here are some tips to help you with your finals.

1. Create a Study Spot

Designate one area in your home to be your study spot. Try to find a place away from family and lots of noise. If needed, put in headphones to block the noise. Eliminate distractions by putting your phone in another room or turning it off, and not going on other tabs while online.

2. Organize

Organize your study spot to make it easier to find what you need. Having a neat area can increase your motivation and make it easier to focus.

3. Plan

Set a schedule for when you plan to study and the specific class you’re preparing for. If you don’t want to create a schedule, create a to-do list of tasks you need to do that day.

4. Take Breaks

Take breaks every so often to avoid getting tired and improve your concentration and motivation. Try using the Pomodoro Method, study for 25 minutes, and take a break for five minutes. According to Forbes, using the Pomodoro Method is one of the most effective ways to study.

5. Reward Yourself

Remember to reward yourself so you have something to look forward to at the end. This should be something that you enjoy doing or look forward to. At the end of the day, you could treat yourself by watching your favorite movie or hanging out with your friends. Horizon Honors Middle School is helping to motivate students by having a chance to win gift cards. If you study for 100 minutes then you can be entered in the raffle for a $5 gift card and if you study for 210 minutes you could earn a $20 gift card.

6. Attend Student Support

If you have any questions or concerns, ask your teachers. You can also attend student support from 2:45 to 3:45 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.