Protesters clash with police.
University Campuses Become Battlegrounds as Tensions over Gaza Rise
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 29, 2024

On Monday, April 23 police arrested 47 pro-Palestinian protesters at Yale in Connecticut. In a statement,...

The finished product.
Juicy Jell-O Cupcakes
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 29, 2024

Cupcakes and Jell-O are two classic American sweet treats. When you combine them, you get a sweet, Jell-O...

Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

Horror’s Ability to Possess People

Horror has interested people for a long time through stories and games.
Several popular horror video games.
Vulture
Several popular horror video games.

Horror, since the concept’s creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline as situations intensify, and the enthralling stories make horror a popular source of media.

Yet many people who are not interested in horror often question why people like horror so much. Between being on edge from being scared even after consuming the piece of horror media and growing increasingly more scared as the experience continues, it seems reasonable to question why so many people enjoy horror. There are three main reasons why horror interests so many people.

The first reason is that people can find being scared fun and fulfilling. Big Think writes, “scary situations can produce a euphoria and a sense of achievement.” Being able to overcome uncomfortable and frightening situations can make people feel brave. The sense of achievement when one overcomes these kinds of feelings of dread and anxiety is rewarding psychologically.

The second is that horror’s tendency to cause anticipation often leads to a boost of adrenaline. Adrenaline can lead to many effects like high energy and alertness. NPR states that adrenaline can release dopamine which is a chemical that can cause the feeling of pleasure. The increase of fear and adrenaline can give a pleasurable response to horror, which explains why people get so invested in the experience.

The third element of horror can be the mysterious aspect and not the fear element itself. For example, people may not have played “Five Nights at Freddy’s” (FNAF) but through either friends or videos online became invested in the lore. Horror media like “FNAF” and “Resident Evil” have deep lore that many people love to dive into. Horror doesn’t need to be the only factor that gets people interested. Stories can engage everyone, and when combined with the interest of horror, makes this genre a popular one.

Horror has been a popular genre because of the thrill, satisfaction, and stories it provides consumers. This will continue to give readers, watchers, and players the excitement they crave.