My Fondest Farewell
My Fondest Farewell
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

Five years ago I entered the computer lab here on campus for the first time. I was attending the class...

My Last Article
My Last Article
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • May 24, 2024

Dear Horizon Honors, In Journalism, farewell articles are reserved for those who have spent a significant...

Daniel Duggan is under suspicion of betraying the U.S.
Former U.S. Marine Arrested in Australia after Unknowingly Working with a Chinese Hacker
Joey Miller, Columnist • May 21, 2024

A former United States Marine pilot fighting extradition from Australia to the U.S. was charged with...

Mary Alice Pultz has been identified as a dead body found decades ago.
Authorities in Florida Identify Remains of Woman Last Seen 40 Years Ago
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • May 21, 2024

In 1985, human remains were found on a beach in St. Johns County, Florida. On May 12, police were able...

Israels actions in the Gaza Strip are worthy of being called genocidal.
Israel Has Chosen Criminality
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 21, 2024

It would be disingenuous to say that the Oct. 7, 2023 terror attack on Israel sparked the current war...

The aurora borealis could be seen in Arizona recently.
Aurora Borealis Visible in Arizona
Eli Geist, Columnist • May 21, 2024

Many travel far north just to get a glimpse of the aurora borealis; however, recently the amazing spectacle...

Squad Busters is a new game from Supercell.
New Supercell Game: “Squad Busters”
Matthew Greco, Columnist • May 21, 2024

The popular mobile game company Supercell just announced a new game currently in development called “Squad...

Horror’s Ability to Possess People

Horror has interested people for a long time through stories and games.
Several popular horror video games.
Vulture
Several popular horror video games.

Horror, since the concept’s creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline as situations intensify, and the enthralling stories make horror a popular source of media.

Yet many people who are not interested in horror often question why people like horror so much. Between being on edge from being scared even after consuming the piece of horror media and growing increasingly more scared as the experience continues, it seems reasonable to question why so many people enjoy horror. There are three main reasons why horror interests so many people.

The first reason is that people can find being scared fun and fulfilling. Big Think writes, “scary situations can produce a euphoria and a sense of achievement.” Being able to overcome uncomfortable and frightening situations can make people feel brave. The sense of achievement when one overcomes these kinds of feelings of dread and anxiety is rewarding psychologically.

The second is that horror’s tendency to cause anticipation often leads to a boost of adrenaline. Adrenaline can lead to many effects like high energy and alertness. NPR states that adrenaline can release dopamine which is a chemical that can cause the feeling of pleasure. The increase of fear and adrenaline can give a pleasurable response to horror, which explains why people get so invested in the experience.

The third element of horror can be the mysterious aspect and not the fear element itself. For example, people may not have played “Five Nights at Freddy’s” (FNAF) but through either friends or videos online became invested in the lore. Horror media like “FNAF” and “Resident Evil” have deep lore that many people love to dive into. Horror doesn’t need to be the only factor that gets people interested. Stories can engage everyone, and when combined with the interest of horror, makes this genre a popular one.

Horror has been a popular genre because of the thrill, satisfaction, and stories it provides consumers. This will continue to give readers, watchers, and players the excitement they crave.