Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Russia Dubs the LGBTQ+ Community an “Extremist Organization”

Russia has passed a verdict, ultimately banning any LGTBQ+ Community activities in their country.
Protest against the Russian ban.
AP News
Protest against the Russian ban.

In Russia, it has made a ruling that the LGBTQ+ Community is an “extremist organization”, thus banning it from the country. Due to this ruling, Russian security forces have begun to raid multiple gay bars. The community was outlawed on Nov. 30, which is a huge step against LGBTQ+ minorities. According to AP News, this ruling was in response to a lawsuit filed by the Justice Ministry, labeling the community as an extremist organization, which in turn led to the ban of this community. It was made by President Vladimir Putin, who has upheld and emphasized “traditional family values” during his reign of power for the last 24 years.

The Nov. 30 trial was a closed-door hearing that lasted four hours. According to AP News, no one besides the Justice Ministry representatives were allowed to enter and there was no defendant. Journalists were allowed entry only for the reading of the verdict by Judge Oleg Nefedov. The case was classified, and the ministry didn’t disclose any evidence towards this ruling. According to AP News, their reasoning was that authorities had identified “signs and manifestations of an extremist nature” in the LGTBQ+ Community, including “incitement of social and religious discord,” according to France 24. Many rights activists noted that the lawsuit was thrown against a movement that is not even an official entity. According to AP News, human rights lawyer Max Olenichev, who works with the Russian LGTBQ+ Community, told the press that this ruling will effectively ban organized activity, in defense of the community. “In practice, it could happen that the Russian authorities, with this court ruling in hand, will enforce (the ruling) against LGBTQ+ initiatives that work in Russia, considering them a part of this civic movement,” Olenichev stated. The ruling still was passed by the Russian court.

Before this ruling occurred, in 2013, the Kremlin adopted the first legislation that restricted the community’s rights called the “gay propaganda” law. The law bans any public endorsement of “nontraditional sexual relations” among minors. In 2020, the constitutional reforms pushed through by Putin in order to hold his power for another two terms has also included a provision that outlaws same-sex marriages. After sending in troops to Ukraine in 2022, the Kremlin has ramped up a campaign that went against the community calling it the West’s “degrading” influence according to AP News. In that same year, another law was passed that banned propaganda of “nontraditional sexual relations” among the adults. All of these events that occurred before the ruling have led up to this point. It is clear that Russia wanted to ban the community.

Members of the LGBTQ+ community are outraged by this verdict. Many are putting pride flag symbols on their social media profiles and are protesting the verdict. Russian police forces have also begun to  raid venues across Moscow, including multiple gay bars, a male sauna, and a nightclub. Several LGBTQ+ venues have already closed following that decision, according to ABC News. During the raids, club goers were held and their passports were being photographed. Photos and videos were being posted purposefully on social media. The LGBTQ+ community are protesting against this verdict in every way they can and are currently resisting the Russian government.