An employee at the Target forensics lab in classic Target uniform.
The Target Forensics Lab
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 11, 2024

Target, just like many other retailers, has fallen victim to shoplifters, with almost a billion dollars...

Israeli protests stirred debate over Netanyahus position.
Israeli Citizens Demand a Ceasefire
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Israeli citizens stormed central Jerusalem on Sunday, March 31 in the largest anti-government protest...

A cow.
Animals and People Across the Country Catch Bird Flu
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Across the United States, farm animals such as cows and chickens have been testing positive for a disease...

Ukrainian forces survey damage.
Republican Rep. Confident Ukraine Aid Will Make It to House Floor
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • April 5, 2024

Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY) said in a recent CNN “State of the Union” interview that he was confident...

The finished product.
Blissful Brookies
Matthew Greco, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Cookies are amazing. You can put anything in them. Brownies are chocolatey goodness. They’re always...

Dan Schneider hugs a cast member.
Nickelodeon’s Dark Side
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 5, 2024

Dan Schneider, director of many of the older Nickelodeon shows like “iCarly,” “The Amanda Show!,”...

There were three racers who did not finish the race.
Australian Grand Prix 2024 Summed Up
Matthew Greco, Columnist • March 28, 2024

The Australian Grand Prix which took place over two days has just come to a close. This article covers...

“Avatar: The Last Airbender” Live Action Debut

The live action adaptation of the beloved Nickelodeon animated series has arrived on Netflix.
Title screen for the new adaptation.
knightedgemedia
Title screen for the new adaptation.

The Nickelodeon original “Avatar: The Last Airbender” (ATLA), which ran from 2005 to 2008, has finally gotten the live action remake that it deserves. The animated show had three seasons and a total of 61 episodes that in the story take place over a year. The show tells the story of Avatar Aang’s fight against the Fire Nation with the help of Katara, Sokka, his bison Appa, and other allies.

The iconic cast will not be playing their characters though. The cast for the show, as stated by ONE Esports will be, “Gordon Cormier as Aang, Kiawentiio Tarbell as Katara, Ian Ousley as Sokka, Dallas James Liu as Zuko, Daniel Dae Kim as Fire Lord Ozai, and Paul Sun-Hyung Lee as Uncle Iroh.”

Many concerns, though, present themselves as many fans are still skeptical of the quality after the abysmal 2010 live action movie. However, many concerns have been tackled because the film writers and directors recognized the issues with the live action movie. Screenrant lists six things the show is already fixing. The name of the show is the same as the original, the story is shown, not told, the actors look closer to their animated counterparts, the beloved Kyoshi Warriors are included, the special effects look much better, and the character designs have vastly improved. 

The first episode of the new series was a mixture of content from the first three episodes, but also original content added in by the writers. The show opened up with Aang’s backstory and Avatar Kiyoshi as the narrator rather than Katara. The show is also much more violent, showing deaths on screen. It is far more brutal than the Nickelodeon classic, with one person at the beginning getting completely burned to death. The special effects and pronunciation of Aang have been fixed from the 2010 movie, thankfully. The best part of the show is that they kept the original ending music from the original series.

The new live action “Avatar: the Last Airbender” has come with changes to the original series but remains a loyal adaptation. All live action remakes have to make changes so as not to appear purely like the original. This one will be no different.