Natalie Smith signs with The Ohio State.
Diving into D-1: Horizon Honors’s Natalie Smith Signs with The Ohio State
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 25, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, Horizon Honors’s senior Natalie Smith announced her commitment to swim Division...

MacAlpines Diner and Soda Fountain is attempting to reopen after the pandemic.
Historic Phoenix Diner Makes Effort to Reopen
Mateo Olmos, Columnist • April 19, 2024

One of Phoenix's oldest diners and soda fountains, called MacAlpines, is trying to reopen for the first...

Hiram Grayam was killed in 1968.
1968 Killing of a Milkman Solved 56 Years Later
Joey Miller, Columnist • April 19, 2024

A Florida milkman by the name of Hiram "Ross" Grayam didn’t return home one night after his rounds....

Charles Leclercs new ice cream will be available in Italian stores.
Lec Ice Cream
Erin McGinty, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Charles Leclerc, a well known and highly successful Monegasque F1 driver, has recently created an ice...

Arizona abortion law has gone back in time.
Arizona’s New 160-Year-Old Abortion Law
Kalyn McLeod, Managing Editor • April 19, 2024

Since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022, many states have faced new abortion laws; Arizona is the...

The Bayer Leverkusen team celebrating their title with a cardboard cutout of the Bundesliga trophy.
Bayer Leverkusen Wins Historic First Bundesliga Title
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • April 19, 2024

On Sunday, April 14, 2024, a match between two top flight German soccer teams Bayer 04 Leverkusen and...

Several popular horror video games.
Horror’s Ability to Possess People
Jet Taft, Columnist • April 19, 2024

Horror, since the concept's creation, has captivated many. The spooky atmospheres, the thrill of adrenaline...

Five Nights at Freddy’s Movie has a Record-Breaking Opening Week

The Five Nights at Freddy’s movie had great box office success, despite less than ideal critic reviews
Main characters of the Five Nights at Freddy’s movie
BBC

The Five Nights at Freddy’s (FNaF) movie has been one of the most highly anticipated movies of the year ever since it was announced. The film is based off of the FNaF horror video game series, which was one of the most influential and popular games of its time even before the movie was released. The movie was co-produced by Blumhouse Productions and Universal Studios and released on Friday, Oct. 27, to extremely high demand.

According to the New York Times, the movie, which had a budget of only $20 million, brought in roughly $78 million over its opening weekend in the United States and Canada alone. The movie also proved to be an international success, bringing in about $53 million overseas in its first weekend. The movie was likewise released on streaming service Peacock. NBCUniversal, owners of Peacock, reported that the film was the most watched piece of content on the service over the weekend, and that it was projected to be the most watched film ever on Peacock.

Due to the massive box office success, the film broke many domestic, international, and global box office records. Variety states that the film, which wasn’t expected to do well by critics, broke over 10 different records in the first week of its release. Some of the notable records broken include “biggest opening weekend for a horror film of 2023” and “best debut ever for a PG-13 horror film.” In total, the film broke nine domestic records, one international record, and two global records. The movie also became Blumhouse Productions’ highest-grossing film ever.

Despite the success in the box office, the movie was heavily criticized and poorly rated. Forbes wrote that the FNaF movie had a large gap between critics’ reviews and fan reviews. On popular rating site Rotten Tomatoes, the movie got a 28 percent critic score, and an 89 percent fan score. On another popular site, Metacritic, the movie received a 3.3/10 critic score, while fans rated it an 8.1/10 film. A leading contributor to the large gap in reviews is the audience the FNaF movie was made for. The film was made for fans of the video game series, which makes it more understandable why movie critics rated it so poorly. The low reviews don’t reflect the excitement and enjoyment of the FNaF fans, who had waited years for a movie about the game to be released. 

Thus, the FNaF movie is a film that broke records and racked in cash by being based on a large pop culture icon, despite the heavy criticism.