My Fondest Farewell
My Fondest Farewell
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 24, 2024

Five years ago I entered the computer lab here on campus for the first time. I was attending the class...

My Last Article
My Last Article
Canon Grant, Political Analyst • May 24, 2024

Dear Horizon Honors, In Journalism, farewell articles are reserved for those who have spent a significant...

Daniel Duggan is under suspicion of betraying the U.S.
Former U.S. Marine Arrested in Australia after Unknowingly Working with a Chinese Hacker
Joey Miller, Columnist • May 21, 2024

A former United States Marine pilot fighting extradition from Australia to the U.S. was charged with...

Mary Alice Pultz has been identified as a dead body found decades ago.
Authorities in Florida Identify Remains of Woman Last Seen 40 Years Ago
Ethan Fulton, Columnist • May 21, 2024

In 1985, human remains were found on a beach in St. Johns County, Florida. On May 12, police were able...

Israels actions in the Gaza Strip are worthy of being called genocidal.
Israel Has Chosen Criminality
Carsten Oyer, Editor-in-Chief • May 21, 2024

It would be disingenuous to say that the Oct. 7, 2023 terror attack on Israel sparked the current war...

The aurora borealis could be seen in Arizona recently.
Aurora Borealis Visible in Arizona
Eli Geist, Columnist • May 21, 2024

Many travel far north just to get a glimpse of the aurora borealis; however, recently the amazing spectacle...

Squad Busters is a new game from Supercell.
New Supercell Game: “Squad Busters”
Matthew Greco, Columnist • May 21, 2024

The popular mobile game company Supercell just announced a new game currently in development called “Squad...

After 10 Years, Search for MH370 May Resume

The Malaysian transportation minister reveals the country’s intent to continue the search for the missing aircraft.
The aircraft that went missing in 2014.
Wikimedia Commons
The aircraft that went missing in 2014.

Malaysian Airlines flight 370 is one of the most famous instances of a flight gone missing. Britannica states that MH370 was a regularly scheduled flight departing from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and arriving in Beijing, China. The well documented disappearance took place on March 8, 2014, when the Boeing 777 operating the flight vanished without a trace. Aboard the aircraft were 12 crew members and 227 passengers. Many theories arose about what caused the incident, with some going as far as to believe aliens had caused the crash. Recent evidence partnered with new technology has relit the Malaysian government’s interest in the search for flight 370.

Malaysian transport minister, Anthony Loke, revealed in a statement on March 3, 2024 that the government would be willing to resume the search. According to CNN, Loke said that he would “do everything possible to solve this mystery once and for all.” To be able to do this, Loke and the Malaysian government would be working together with Texas-based company Ocean Infinity to help find the aircraft. Loke revealed that Ocean Infinity had approached the Malaysian government claiming to have credible evidence as to where the aircraft might be located. Loke stated that “The Ministry of Transport are ready to invite Ocean Infinity to Malaysia to discuss the proposal of a no-find, no-fee proposal. We are waiting for Ocean Infinity to provide the suitable dates and I will meet them any time that they are ready to come to Malaysia.”

Ocean Infinity has tried once before to find the location of flight 370. According to The Independent, in 2018, just after the Malaysian government concluded their search, Ocean Infinity conducted a search of the suspected areas with high-tech submarines. They found nothing, but have gathered information, and are willing to help the Malaysian government.

Pieces of washed up debris have provided a light as to where MH370 may be located. Britannica wrote that debris pieces have been found in areas around the Indian ocean, leading to speculation as to if the plane crashed there. In 2015, the right wing flaperon was discovered on a Réunion Island beach. That began the discovery of more debris pieces, in which 26 more pieces were discovered. Debris from the aircraft was found in areas such as Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa, Madagascar, and Mauritius. Only three of the 27 pieces had been confirmed to be part of the aircraft, while the other 24 are also highly likely to be a part of the aircraft.

At the moment, the decision to resume the search or not lies in the hands of the Malaysian cabinet. Being able to resume the search would likely help ease the minds of the families who lost loved ones 10 years ago.