COVID vaccine before being administered.
COVID Vaccine Found to Have Three Links to Cardiac and Neurological Conditions
Jameson Kowalski, Columnist • February 27, 2024

A new vaccine safety study has uncovered new side effects to many COVID vaccines. The effects, which...

Satellite menacingly headed towards Earth.
Forecast Shows Falling Satellite
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to NPR, European Remote Sensing 2, (ERS-2), a European satellite launched in 1995, was recently...

The fossil was determined to be a fraud.
Famous Fossil or Art Project?
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 27, 2024

According to CNN, researchers say that a famous fossil has caused a scandal. The fossil was discovered...

Title screen for the new adaptation.
“Avatar: The Last Airbender” Live Action Debut
Jet Taft, Columnist • February 27, 2024

The Nickelodeon original “Avatar: The Last Airbender” (ATLA), which ran from 2005 to 2008, has finally...

Hind Rajab is one of many children killed in the war between Israel and Hamas.
Five-Year-Old Palestinian Girl Found Dead After Being Trapped Under Israeli Fire
Joey Miller, Columnist • February 16, 2024

Hind Rajab, a five-year-old girl, was found dead under a car in Gaza. On Jan. 29, 2024, Rajab and her...

Maison Des Champs climbing Sphere.
Man Scales Sphere
Erin McGinty, Columnist • February 16, 2024

On Feb. 7, a man by the name of Maison Des Champs, who uses the online name 'Pro-Life Spider-Man,' was...

Jon Stewart as host of The Daily Show.
Jon Stewart Returns to “The Daily Show”
Suhani Singla, Columnist • February 16, 2024

CNN states that after eight years of absence, Jon Stewart has returned to “The Daily Show,” a comedic...

World’s Oldest Tortoise Turns 191

This year, Jonathan, a Seychelles giant tortoise, celebrates his 191 birthday.
Jonathan, the worlds oldest tortoise.
Guinness World Records
Jonathan, the world’s oldest tortoise.

As of 2022, Jonathan, a giant tortoise, became the world’s oldest living tortoise and land animal. He’s believed to have been born in 1832, but that estimate is not exact. Jonathan is a Seychelles giant tortoise, which usually lives for around 150 years. Previously, the oldest tortoise ever to live was Tu’i Malila, who lived to be 188 years old.

According to Guinness World Records, Jonathan is currently living on the island of St. Helena. He’s been on the island since 1882, which is when he was about 50 years old. This year, he’s turning 191 years old, and his long term vet, Joe Hollins, says Jonathan is very healthy and has “no signs of slowing down.” UPI states that in an interview with Guinness World Records, Hollins said that Jonathan continues to have a strong appetite, despite losing his sense of smell and sight from cataracts. He’s hand fed once a week with a dish of fruits and vegetables. Guinness World Records says that Jonathan likes to take warm sun baths and stretch out his neck and limbs.

There are a few adaptations that have allowed Jonathan to live this long. Jacksonville Zoo suggests that the slower the heart rate of an animal, the longer it lives. A giant tortoise has a heart rate of 10 beats per minute, and Jonathan has lived for almost 200 years. For comparison, an animal with a heart rate of 1200 beats per minute only lives for a few months. In addition, giant tortoises also have traits that help with DNA repair and cancer-suppressing cells. 

Still, Jonathan is a strong tortoise that has lived through many global events and three separate centuries. He will hopefully continue to live a carefree life for many years to come.